DIY Speaker Rebuild

posted in: DIY | 0

A while back I was perusing the local Goodwill store, and came across two large, old Boston Acoustic speakers. They are T1000 series II. Serial numbers 000012 and 000013.   They were $5.00 each, so I wrestled them into my cart, which now was dangerously top heavy, and brought them to the register. At $5.00 each for large BA speakers, I didn’t have much hope for them, so I asked the employee at the register what the chances of the speakers working were.  He replied, “100%, we test them all.”  I handed him my credit card, wrestled them out the door, and into my car.

After lugging one up the stairs and into my apartment, my roommate pulled off the cover of the speaker, and found that the foam around the speakers was torn to bits. The center caps were all punched in. I sighed, and immediately brought the speaker back down the stairs and into my car. $10.00 for a pair of huge, high quality speakers was too good to be true.

DSC_0009

After telling another friend about my goof(why didn’t I pull off the cover at Goodwill?)  He informed me that I might be able to rebuild the speakers.  I went online, and found Simply Speakers, an online store dedicated to building and rebuilding speakers.  I searched for my speaker model, and they had a rebuild kit.  A week later, I had a refoam kit.

The first step was to take off the covers, and pull out the speakers from the housing:

DSC_0034DSC_0011

Then, I pulled off all of the foam.  At this point, It basically disintegrates:

DSC_0013

Then, I used nail polish remover to get all of the glue and foam off the cone:

DSC_0038

After the cone is cleaned, I cut off the cap:

DSC_0025

DSC_0029

Then, I used the included shims to properly space the driver.  This is necessary so the middle of the driver doesn’t rub against the sides.

DSC_0047

Then, it was time to glue the new foam on to the cone.  I made sure to let it cure for a few minutes first.DSC_0041

Next, I glued the foam to the outer ring of the speaker frame.

DSC_0045

After the glue dried on the foam, I glued the caps back on.

DSC_0048

DSC_0049

Now it is time to re install the speakers into the cabinets.
DSC_0056

DSC_0057

The Finished Product:DSC_0058
DSC_0059

After letting the glue cure for 24 hours, I hooked the speakers up to my amp. They sound AMAZING!  They are 25 years old, but sound just as good as they did when they were new. Warm, and powerful, these are the nicest speakers I have ever owned. For a total of about $50.00, (10 for speakers, and 40 for refoam kit), I now own a set of absolutely incredible speakers.

Dana
Dana is a bike nerd through and through, but also loves to tinker, make, and photograph. You can find him hiking, skiing, or mountain biking most weekends. Check out his personal site for cool data visualizations!

Leave a Reply